Saturday, February 25, 2006

My Inspiration

Today is my mom's 77th birthday. I guess most people think their mom is special but, actually, my mom IS special. When she was 13 months old she was stricken with polio. The first 7 or 8 years of her life were spent in one of the Shriners' hospitals. Part of that time she was in an iron lung. As a result of the polio, one of her legs is about 2 inches shorter than the other. The polio also destroyed the joint in one of her hips and one of her ankles (the doctors were able to rebuild the ankle joint but it has now deteriorated and is no longer working) and caused her to have scoliosis. Because of the scoliosis, her lung capacity is decreasing, causing breathing problems. She is now suffering from post-polio syndrome which causes weakness in her muscles. Her other health problems would fill a small book. She is able to get around only with the aid of a walker and even that is difficult for her and she is in constant pain. But even with all of these problems, she has the most upbeat, positive outlook on life. She lives with her pain and doesn't dwell on it. I don't think I could live for one day with the problems she has lived with for the past 75 years. She constantly amazes me. To me she is the most beautiful person in the world - both inside and out. Here's to you Mom. I love you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mom! You deserve the very best wishes! Wow, I hope I get to live that long.

Sorry to hear about your Mom's condition. All the best to her. You and your Mom are in my prayers. God bless her and help her through the rest of her ordeal. Aloha!