Sunday, June 17, 2007

The hits just keep on a'comin'

I'm just not sure how much more I can take. On Monday, June 4 there was a company meeting at work. Seems our "illustrious" President (aka the spiky haired, ugly Hawaiian shirt wearing little bastard) has decided the company no longer needs the print department where I work. The only up side is that we have been sold and will still have a job at least for a while. The down side is that we're going from being owned by a multi-billion dollar company with 10,000+ employees worldwide and tremendous benefits to being owned by a small businessman with no benefits except health insurance with premiums so high that I won't be able to pay them. So, I've lost my pension, health insurance, life insurance, short/long-term disability...pretty much everything that gave me some hope for the future. And I STILL don't have heating and air for my mobile home. I'm just not sure how many more hits I can take. Will anything good ever happen in my life again?

3 comments:

Leo said...

That's a a tough blow. I'm sorry. Hang in there, things usually turn around in life.

Cattiva said...

Anything you've already built up in your pension/retirement fund/401K can be rolled over and you won't lose it. Legally it's yours and it doesn't disappear. While this is kinda short sighted, you might be able to cash in so that you can buy the heating/AC unit you need.

I'd talk to someone knowledgable quickly (perhaps your old company provides someone in this situation?) - at the very least, do some research online.

Good luck

Jamie Marie said...

Thanks for the encouragement , Leo. I needed to hear that.

Cattiva, I will check on that. I don't know a lot about pension plans. All I know about this one is that it's all company funded with no employee contributions. But, I definitely will check into it. I need to get that unit in so I can move in and take care of Mom and Dad next door. Thanks for the info!